Scott Co, Iowa USGenWeb Project
William
Gardner Smith
From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E.
Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: Smith, McCullough, Scott
William Gardner Smith during the year of his manhood in Davenport was a familiar
figure in those circles where the intelligent and interesting men of the city
were wont to gather. He was long closely associated with commercial interests
here and sustained an unassailable reputation, owing to the fact that he never
made engagements that he did not keep nor incur obligations that he did not
meet. He enjoyed to the fullest extent the respect of his contemporaries and
associates.
Mr. Smith was born in this city, July 19, 1861, a son of Mr. and Mrs. A. J.
Smith, long prominent and honored residents here. After attending the schools of
Davenport and acquiring therein a good English education, well fitting him for
life's practical and responsible duties, he went to North Dakota, but after a
year returned home and accepted the position of bookkeeper with the firm of
Smith & McCullough, furniture dealers, his father being the senior member.
This was one of the oldest and best established houses of the city and after the
death of Mr. McCullough William G. Smith entered into partnership relations with
his father, the enterprise being then conducted under the firm name of A. J.
Smith & Son. Following the father's death in 1898 the business was
incorporated and William G. Smith remained at its head, occupied with the
interests of successful management, until 1901, when his health failed and he
disposed of the store. He was a man of good business judgment, very accurate,
systematic and methodical, and his enterprise led him to continually broaden the
scope of his activities and thereby increase his usefulness. A short time prior
to his death he aided in organizing and establishing the E. W. Gates Lumber
Company. With keen sagacity he saw and utilized opportunities that others passed
by heedlessly and in his entire business career he exemplified the truth of the
old adage that "honesty is the best policy."
On the 11th of November, 1887, Mr. Smith was married to Miss Cora Scott, a
daughter of Colonel and Mrs. Thomas Scott, of Davenport. The marriage of Mr. and
Mrs. Smith was blessed with one child, Eugene Gardner, who is at home with his
mother.
Mr. Smith was an active member of the Business Men's Association of Davenport
and cooperated in all its various projects for the benefit of the city and the
extension of its trade relations. He likewise belonged to the Irrawaddy Canoe
Club and was always a popular factor in the outings of that organization. His
genial manner, unfailing courtesy and ready adaptability won him many friends,
while his enterprise in business circles gained him high standing among the
prominent representatives of commercial and industrial interests of Davenport.
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann
W. G. Noth Biography
From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E.
Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: Noth, Deis.
W. G. Noth, who has been the capable incumbent in the office of city treasurer
of Davenport since 1906, was born in this city on the 13th of May, 1870, his
parents being John and Wlihlemina (Deis) Noth, the former a native of Germany
and the latter of Quincy, Illinois. It was late in the '40s that John Noth
crossed the Atlantic to the United States, locating in Quincy, Illinois, while
in 1869 he accompanied his father, George W. Noth, to Davenport, Iowa. The
latter here established Noth's Brewery and thus became on of the pioneer
representatives of brewing interests in this part of the state. John Noth, who
had been in charge of the brewery, abandoned that line of activity after his
father's demise and turned his attention to the grain business, with which he is
still successfully identified. He is highly respected as a prosperous man and
substantial citizen and both he and his wife are well known and esteemed
throughout Davenport, having now resided here for a period of forty years.
W. G. Noth, who was the eldest in a family of six children, supplemented his
preliminary education by a course in the Davenport high school. After putting
aside his text books he entered the service of the Citizens National Bank and
continued with that financial institution for eight years. He was then make
deputy county treasurer and capably served in that served in that position for
four years, after which he was elected to office of county clerk, discharging
the duties devolving upon him in that connection for two years. In 1906 he was
elected city treasurer and still remains in that position, proving by his able
administration of the affairs of the office that the confidence and trust
reposed in him by his constituents was not misplaced. He is a popular and
unassuming young man and has won an extensive circle of warm friends in the city
where his entire life has been spent.
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann
Joseph C. Metzger
From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E.
Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: Metzger, Mohr, Gold.
Joseph C. Metzger is the general proprietor of a hotel in Buffalo and is one of
the most enterprising and wide-awake business men of the village. He was born in
Buffalo, July 23, 1875, a son of Christian and Mary Metzger, both of whom were
natives of Germany, the former born in Baden on the 10th of August, 1829, while
the latter claims Hohenzollern as the place of her nativity, and she was born in
1831. The father was a youth of thirteen years when he emigrated to the United
States and established his home in Baltimore, Maryland, where he learned and
followed the cooper's trade. Later he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he was
married, and in 1855 he and his wife came west, spending two years in Rock
Island, Illinois. Subsequently, in 1857, they crossed the border into Iowa
establishing their home in Buffalo, where the father engaged in the cooperage
business for many years.
Joseph C. Metzger is one of a family of eight sons and three daughters, six of
whom are deceased. Those having passed away are: Mare, John Christian, Joseph,
Adolf, Otilda, and one who died in infancy. Those living are: Fred, a cigar
manufacturer, of Quincy, Illinois; Henry, a resident of Denver, Colorado;
Theodore, of Blue Grass, Scott county; and Catherine, the wife of Joseph Mohr,
also of Blue Grass. Joseph C. at the usual age entered the public schools of
Buffalo and completed his education in the Davenport schools. After putting
aside his text-books he went to Chicago, in May, 1893, remaining in the
metropolis four years. In March, 1897, desirous of visiting the land of his
ancestors, he set sail for Germany, spending several months in that country.
Returning once more to Buffalo, he engaged in business pursuits here in the
latter part of 1897. In 1904 he built a modern brick residence and two years
later, in 1906, purchased the hotel adjoining his residence property and has
since conducted the same. He conducts his hostelry in the most modern and
up-to-date style, is continually looking after the comforts and welfare of his
guests and is popular with the traveling public.
Mr. Metzger was married in 1900 to Miss Sadie Gold, a daughter of Preston Gold,
of Buffalo. They have a daughter, Marguerite, who attends school in Davenport.
Mr. Metzger is a director of the Buffalo Savings Bank. He is a communicant
of St. Peter's Catholic church, while his fraternal relations are with Banner
Lodge, No. 16, K. P., and with lodge No. 235, Fraternal Order of Eagles, at
Davenport. Mr. and Mrs. Metzger are well known in Buffalo, for they have spent
their entire lives here and their social qualities have won them many friends.
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann
Henry
Runge Biography
From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E.
Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: Runge, Tess, Olsen, Juergensen.
Henry Runge is conducting a well established undertaking business at No 824 West
Third street in Davenport. The high quality of goods he handles and his moderate
prices have built up a good trade and made this concern one of the best known in
the city. Mr. Runge is a native of Davenport, born June 7, 1861, of the marriage
of Martin L. and Wilhelmina (Schwartz) Runge, in whose family were nine
children, but only two sons and one daughter now survive. The father emigrated
from his native land, Germany, to the United States at an early day, the trip
being made in a sail boat, which required fourteen weeks to cross the Atlantic.
Arriving in the new world after his long and wearisome voyage, he spent a short
time in Chicago, Illinois, whence he made his way to Davenport, where lived a
half-brother of Mrs. Runge. He was first engaged in the packing business in this
city but afterward worked in the old Davis mill, where he continued throughout
his business career. Both he and his wife have passed away.
Henry Runge was reared under the parental roof and was given the advantage of a
common school education. After completing his studies he took up the task of
learning the upholsterer's trade and at the same time attended a night
school in order that he might have a better education to meet the
responsibilities of a business career. After learning his trade he worked at the
same for twenty years. He then went to Des Moines and pursued a course in
embalming that he might engage in the undertaking business on his own account.
Subsequently he returned to Davenport and in October, 1895, organized the firm
of Weiss & Runge. The partnership continued for but a brief period, however,
for in the following December Mr. Runge sold his interest to his partner and in
February, 1896, engaged in business alone, since which time he has conducted a
successful enterprise. He possesses excellent business ability, understands
thoroughly the art of embalming, and this, coupled with a prompt response to all
calls made upon him, has gained for him an extensive patronage. The business is
now conducted in a large, modern, two story brick structure known as the Runge
building, which was erected in 1902, and here Mr. Runge keeps on hand a good
line of burial caskets and supplies and can meet all demands made upon him.
Mr. Runge was married in May, 1883, to Miss Emma Tess, who passed away a few
years later. There is a daughter and son of this marriage: Augusta, now the wife
of John Olsen, a city fireman of Davenport, by whom she has a daughter, Anita;
and Louis F., who is his father's assistant in business. Mr. Runge was married a
second time on the 9th of October, 1891, Christina M. Juergensen becoming his
wife. There are five children by this union: Edna, who is a high school
graduate; Martin L., Henry, who has passed away; Harry H.; and Henrietta.
The family belong to the Lutheran church, while Mr. Runge's fraternal
connections are with the Turners, Elks, Eagles, Knights of Pythias, Modern
Brotherhood of America, the Germania Society, Claus Groth Gilde, Teutonia and
the Odd Fellows, in all of which he is a valued member. In the midst of a busy
life he always finds time for courtesy, and an opportunity to give audience to
his friends, and all with whom he is brought in contact have for him high
regard.
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann
Josef A. LeClaire Biography
From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E.
Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: LeClaire, Manval.
Josef A. LeClaire, since 1885 a representative of fire insurance in Davenport
and also a prominent and active in political circles, was born in St. Charles
county, Missouri, October 15, 1833. His father, Francis LeClaire was a native of
St. Joseph, Michigan. His father was Francois LeClaire, a brother of Antoine
LeClaire. When a young man he removed to St. Charles county, Missouri, and
became one of the first pilots on the Mississippi river, running between St.
Louis and Galena. At length, however, he abandoned the water and spent the
latter part of his life on a farm. He was born in 1793 and lived to the age of
seventy-five years, passing away in 1868. He married Eulalie Manval, a native of
Portage des Sioux, where her girlhood days were passed. She was his second wife
and by the first union was born a daughter and two sons.
Josef A. LeClaire was the youngest child of the family. On the 21st of October,
1841, he came with his half brother, Henry, to Davenport to live with Antoine
LeClaire and here attended school. He also looked after the business interests
of Antoine LeClaire until the latter's death in 1861. The following year Josef
LeClaire went to the west, traveling extensively throughout that section of the
country. Since 1885 he has been engaged in the insurance business in Davenport
and has one of the leading and most successful agencies of the city, writing a
large amount of insurance annually. He has always taken an active interest
in public affairs and has filled a number of offices, to which he has been
called by the vote of his fellow townsmen. In the early '60s he served as
alderman of the fifth ward and in 1871 he was elected marshal and collector for
the city and served seven years as county recorder. He was also elected
magistrate and filled that position for several terms and!
has figured prominently in official circles of the city, while his public
service has brought him a wide acquaintance. Few men have more intimate
knowledge of Davenport and her history through a period of sixty-eight years
than Josef A. LeClaire, who arrived here in 1841 and through the intervening
years has been an interested witness of all the great changes that have
occurred.
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann
Asmus H. Lamp Biography
From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E.
Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: Lamp, Gutch, Stoltenberg, Klindt, Seaman, Frye, Fulner.
To few of the European nations which have contributed to the citizenship of this
country do we owe more than to the German. Successful in business, its sons have
also achieved distinction in agriculture, for the stable qualities of industry
and frugality, which are dominant in their makeup, prove to be the
characteristics which win the largest returns from the cultivation of the soil.
Among the Germans who have settled in this county and whose worth have
contributed so large a share to the he general prosperity of this section of
Iowa is Asmus H. Lamp, who retired from active life some years ago and now lives
in Davenport.
He was born January 18, 1836, a son of Claus and Celia (Gutch) Lamp. The father
was a carpenter in Germany, but about 1847 decided to come to this country. The
family landed at New Orleans on Christmas day, after having spent twelve weeks
and four days in crossing the Atlantic. They traveled up the Mississippi river
the day following their arrival and when they reached St. Louis spent the
rest of the winter there. In the early spring they continued their journey to
Davenport, where on Fourth street the father bought a lot and erected a house.
That remained the home of the family for some years while he worked at his
carpenter trade. Later he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in
Davenport township near the northwest corner, for which he paid one hundred and
forty dollars as it was all raw land. After having erected a house Asmus Lamp
and his brother lived there during the summer, but closed the place in the
winter, bringing the cattle to town, where the sons attend!
ed school. In this manner several years passed, during which time the father
continued to do carpentering in the town, but finally, land having been well
cultivated, the family moved to the farm, on which they resided until the death
of the mother at the age of seventy. Thereafter the father lived with his
children until his death at the age of ninety-four years. They had four
children: Trena, the deceased wife of Henry Stoltenberg, also deceased; Asmus
H., the subject of this sketch; Claus H., of Davenport; and Peter, of Port
Arthur, Texas.
Asmus H. Lamp had attended school in Germany before he came to this country and
after he reached Davenport he spent a few winters in the schools. The most of
his life has been devoted to farming. For more than thirty years he lived upon
the first farm of one hundred and sixty acres his father had bought in Sheridan
township. It had been procured form John Van Patten, who entered it form the
government. The first year after it came into possession of the Lamp family
Asmus broke it and the next year, that of 1858, he married and took up his
permanent residence upon it. As he gained large returns from his labors he
bought other land so that now he owns four farms in Scott county: one in Hickory
Grove township; three in Sheridan township, one of one hundred and sixty acres,
the other two contiguous comprising three hundred and sixty acres-two hundred
and one hundred and sixty acres respectively-aggregating a total of six hundred
and eighty acres. He also owns the valuable town property where he lives, having
bought it about 1888, when he retired from active life. In that year he gave his
homestead to one of his sons, and, moving to the town, bought stock in the
Davenport Elevator Company, in which he worked for some time. Later when the
buildings were torn down and a new company organized Mr. Lamp became its
president. The concern ha about thirty elevators operated in several states. He
is also a stockholder in the German Savings Bank, the Union Savings Bank and the
Scott County Bank of Davenport, besides being interested in sawmills in
Louisiana and cement works in Kansas. As these large interests and the income of
which they are productive are the result of his own efforts they certainly
bespeak a life record that is most gratifying.
In April, 1858, Mr. Lamp married Miss Wipke Klindt, a daughter of Hans and Dora
Klindt. At the age of twenty she came to the United States. Four children have
been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lamp. Minnie married Lon Seaman and passed away,
leaving four children, Melinda, Nellie, Arthur and Frank. Anna became the wife
of Charles Frye and they live in Seattle, Washington, where he is in the
wholesale meat packing business. August married Miss Mary Fulner. They live near
Eldridge, this county, and have four children, Henry, Hilda, Frank and Francis.
Augusta is the wife of Frank Frye, of Seattle, Washington, who is engaged in the
wholesale meat business, and they have one daughter, Marian.
Mr. Lamp has consistently given his support to the republican party but has
himself taken no part in local affairs. Indeed, aside from looking after his
various interests he holds little intercourse with the world of business, for
having passed the allotted age of three score years and ten he feels he is
justified in enjoying the results of his previous labor.
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann
Charles F. Hetzel Biography
From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E.
Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: Hetzel, Bayha, Albright, Haller,
Charles F. Hetzel by a career of honor and usefulness has left an indelible
impress on the history of Blue Grass township. This estimable gentleman, now
deceased, was born in the province of Baden, Germany, August 19, 1907. Early in
life he came to the United States, landing in New York, October 27, 1830. In
that city he met his wife-to-be, Regina Bayha, a native of Stuttgart, Wurtemberg,
whose birth occurred February 4, 1812. They were married in New York July 21,
1834, and for some time resided there. In 1837 they removed to Wheeling, West
Virginia, where they lived for the next fourteen years. On September 15, 1851,
they came to Scott county, Iowa, of which they had heard favorable reports, and
were so entirely satisfied with what they found that it became their permanent
home and that of the most of their children. Mr. Hetzel became quite an
extensive landowner, purchasing three hundred and twenty acres of land in Blue
Grass township and eighty in Rockingham.
They were the parents of eleven children. Five of them have never married but
live together on the old homestead. They are Rosina C., Minnie R., Anna B.,
Regina S. and Henry A. Charles L. married Anna Albright and lives in Davenport;
John C. is a resident of Harlan, Iowa; George D. went west and is a citizen of
Grand Island, Nebraska; Frederick G. makes his home in Avoca, Iowa; and Mary E.
is the widow of Frank Haller of Davenport. One is deceased. Only the three
youngest children, Anna B., Henry A. and Regina S. were born in Scott county,
the others having first seen the light of day in Wheeling, West Virginia.
Mr. Hetzel was a man who took a lively interest in current events and gave an
intelligent consideration to all such problems as effected the public welfare.
He served for a number of years as justice of the peace. In Wheeling he was
pleasantly affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He and his
family were all member of the Lutheran church, in which they were recognized as
faithful, sincere and efficient members. Their home is one of the finest and
most substantial country residences in the locality and was constructed from
brick made on the farm. On June 5, 1886, Mr. Hetzel passed to his reward, his
widow following August 12, 1891. They will long hold an enviable place in the
history and memory of Scott county. They celebrated their golden wedding at the
old homestead in 1884, at which time all the children and grandchildren were
present.
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann
E.
B. Hayward Biography
From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E.
Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: Hayward, Dickerson, Chapman, Cruikshank, Pierce, Kimball.
Among those who have come from eastern districts to Scott county to become
identified with its business interests may be numbered Major E. B. Hayward, who
is well known as a successful lumber manufacturer of Davenport. His success in
all his undertakings has been so marked that his methods are of interest to the
commercial world, and investigation into his history shows that he has based his
business principles and actions upon strict adherence to the rules which govern
economy, industry and unswerving integrity.
Born in Essex county, New York, October 25, 1842, he comes of a family that has
long lived in the eastern states and has also been prominent in military
circles. Tracing the ancestry back through four generations in the paternal
line, we come to the great-grandparents, Ephraim and Phoebe (Dickerson) Hayward.
The former was born in New Jersey in 1760 and served in Washington's army
throughout the Revolutionary war. He passed away at Ellenburg, New York, in
1849, when he had reached the very advanced age of eight-nine years. His family
included David Hayward, the grandfather of our subject, who was born in July,
1790, and was married to Miss Lucretia Chapman. David Hayward was a prominent
lumberman of Essex county. The father, William J. Hayward, was born in 1813. He
engaged in merchandising and also followed the occupation of farming and the
lumber business, becoming a very successful man. His wife bore the maiden name
of Betsy Leland and was a granddaughter of Thomas Leland, one of the Lexington
Minute Men. In 1876 Mr. and Mrs. Hayward left eh east and removed to Davenport,
spending their remaining years in this city.
E. B. Hayward was reared under the parental roof and acquired his education in
the schools of Essex county. He enlisted there as a member of the Fifth New York
Cavalry in 1861 for service in the Civil war. He became a private but was
promoted to captain and later to brevet major in the Army of the Potomac. He
served faithfully and valiantly for four years, after which he received an
honorable discharge.
Following his return from the field of battle, Mr. Hayward engaged in business
in New York for one years and subsequently removed with his family to Wisconsin,
where he spent two years. He still sought another field, in which to give scope
to his activity and accordingly made a permanent location in April, 1869, at
Davenport. He engaged in the lumber business with the firm of Lindsay &
Phelps Company, while later he assisted I organizing the Eagle Lumber Company
and Hayward Timber Company of Texas and the State Lumber Company of Vancouver,
British Columbia. He seems well fitted of leadership in this line and has made a
close study of the lumber trade in all its branches. He is now doing business
long this line in Davenport, being numbered among the successful merchants in
this particular branch in the city.
Mr. Hayward was married on the 7th of April, 1864, to Miss Ellen Phelps, a
daughter of Elihu and Margaret (Cruikshank) Phelps. They have one daughter and
one son, Elmer Leland, who wedded Miss May Pierce, by whom he has one daughter,
Lulu; and Ellen I., who married W. H. Kimball and has two children, Herbert H.
and William P.
Mr. Hayward is an active member of St. John Methodist Episcopal church, having
been chairman of the building committee during the construction of the church
and parsonage on the corner of Fourteenth and Brady streets. Mr. Hayward is not
given to participation to any great extent with fraternal orders, the only
society to which he belongs being that of the Loyal Legion. He is, however, a
thorough business man with a talent for leading, which is one of eh highest
attributes of man and a necessity in these days of close competition.
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann
Timothy A. Murphy
From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E.
Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: Murphy, Ellis, Gould, Susemihl.
Timothy A. Murphy, engaged in the general practice of law and also in charge of
a large collection business in Davenport, was born in Marengo, Iowa, March 30,
1862, and is a son of Jeremiah H. and Mary A. (Green) Murphy. The father was a
native of Massachusetts and, as the name indicates, is descended from Irish
ancestry, while the mother is of English birth and parentage.
The public schools of Davenport afforded Timothy A. Murphy his early educational
privileges, his studies being pursued through consecutive grades until he had
completed the work of the high school. He then took a collegiate course in the
Iowa University and was admitted to practice law in 1888 before the supreme
court in Des Moines. He had prepared for examination as a law student in his
father's office, the firm being then Ellis, Murphy & Gould. When Jeremiah H.
Murphy was elected to congress the firm became Gould & Murphy, with Timothy
A. Murphy as the junior partner. This association was maintained until the death
of Mr. Gould, when William A. White became a member of the firm and was thus
associated until 1892, when Mr. Murphy formed a partnership with Louis G.
Susemihl under the firm name of Murphy and Susemihl. Mr. Murphy is now attorney
for R. G. Dun & company and in addition to conducting a general practice
does a large collecting business. He is also a director in the German Savings
Bank and his interests are of a varied character making him a man of affairs.
In his political views Mr. Murphy is a democrat and has served as United States
commissioner of the second congressional district. He is always conversant with
the vital principles and questions of the day and able to support his position
by intelligent argument, yet political interests are but a side issue in his
life, as he prefers to concentrate his time and energies upon the profession of
the law and the other business affairs to which he has directed his attention.
Endowed by nature with strong intellect, he has made wise use of his time and
talents and he is granted a creditable position among Davenport's representative
men.
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann
J. H. Hass Biography
From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E.
Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: Hass, Schroeder, Stiboldt, Hanssen.
One of the native sons of Davenport, who has risen to a position of honor and
respect not only in this city but throughout the state, holds the responsible
offices of vice president and cashier of the Scott County National Bank. His
father, Detlef Hass, was born in northern Germany and came to the United States
in 1852. As he had chosen the southern route, he landed at New Orleans and
ascended the Mississippi river to Davenport, where he engaged in the building
and contracting business. Having won a pronounced success from his operations,
he retired from active life in 1886, and in September, ten years later, passed
away. His wife, who was Miss Margarita Schroeder in her maidenhood, had died
many years before, for she passed away in 1859. They were married in Germany,
where their eldest child, Louisa, was born. She is now Mrs. Stiboldt.
J. H. Hass, the only son, was born October 14, 1854. He attended the public
schools of the city and, having completed the education they afforded, in 1872
entered the law office of Bills & Block, with whom he remained two years. HE
was not destined for the legal profession, however, and at the end of that time,
in 1874, became assistant bookkeeper in the Citizens National Bank, and to
banking and kindred fields of activities Mr. Hass has since devoted all his
energies. After ten years' experience in the employ of the Citizens national, on
the 1st of December, 1883, when the Scott County Savings Bank was organized, he
was put in charge of the concern, being then the only employe. He has, in the
subsequent years, been closely identified with the institution, having proved hi
efficiency in every position and contributed in no small degree toward making
the concern the splendid financial institution it is today. In 1884, after only
a year's experience, he was made cahier, and in 1908 was made second vice
president. When the Iowa National Bank was organized he was made a director,
which position he still holds. Previously he was connected with P. T. Walsh in
the establishment of the Walsh Construction Company, of which he is treasurer.
Mr. Hass is a man in whom others intuitively place confidence and upon whose
judgment they are willing to rely.
In September, 1881, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Hass and Miss Emma E.
Hanssen, a daughter of Louis Hanssen, one of the old and respected pioneers of
Davenport. Two children have been born to them. Leon H., now a student at Yale
College; and Clara Louise, attending the high school of Davenport. Since 1884,
Mr. Hass has been a member of lodge No. 37, A. F. & A. M. and also of
Zarephath Consistory. He is a member of the executive committee of the savings
banks section of the American Bankers Association and as there are only nine in
this body and they chosen from the whole United States, he may be pardonably
proud of this distinction which his coworkers have placed upon him. Politically
he is a democrat of the Cleveland type, but he is not an office seeker, for his
private interests make him a busy man and leave little time for other concerns,
and yet, in reviewing the record of his life, his fellow citizens have profited
by his work and the standard of manhood has been raised by his endeavors.
Personally he Is endowed with those characteristics which make a man always
welcome among his associates, and he is one of the active members of the Outing
Club. In religious matters he finds the tenets of the Unitarian church in accord
with the breadth of his views.
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann
J. P. Van Patten Biography
From "History of Davenport and Scott County" Vol. II by Harry E.
Downer-S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910 Chicago.
Surnames: Van Patten, Alvord, Sandford, Hartzell, Sweeney, Harper, Allen.
J. P. Van Patten, vice president of the First National Bank and president of the
grocery firm of J. P. Van Patten & Company, occupies a prominent position in
financial and commercial circles in Davenport. Said one who knew him
well-himself a commanding factor in the business world-"His word is as good
as his bond; he is the soul of honor and the better one knows him the greater
the respect and the warmer the friendship." He was born in Jordan, New
York, September 24, 1833. His father, John Van Patten, a native of Schenectady,
New York, was born in 1786, while the mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Van Patten, whose
family name was also the same, was born in 1796. The Van Patten family is of
Holland Dutch stock and was established in Schenectady in 1661. John Van Patten
was an architect by profession and attained prominence in that field in New York
city. In 1834 he removed to the west, establishing his home at Centerville, St.
Joseph county, Michigan, where he lived for a short time and then went to Fawn
River, in the same county. There he practiced his profession and erected a
number of public buildings, his death occurring at Fawn River in 1840.
J. P. Van Patten was the youngest in a family of four children. His eldest
sister married C. C. Alvord, of Fawn River, and went to reside in Davenport,
Iowa, in the late '30s. Following the death of the father, the family decided to
make Davenport their home. The mother was accompanied by her three sons: Philip,
then sixteen years of age; Nelson, aged eleven years; and John P., nine years of
age. They left Fawn River and made the journey to Davenport in a prairie
schooner, traveling through Chicago, then a town of seven thousand inhabitants.
They reached the Mississippi river at Albany, Illinois, crossed on the ice and
arrived in Davenport, November 16, 1842. That season was a record breaker for
ice, which did not float down the river until the 7th of April. In the spring of
1843 J. P. Van Patten secured employment on the farm of Mr. Alvord, his sister's
father-in-law, where he worked for his board. He remained there almost a year,
working hard and obtaining what meager education he could. In 1844 his mother
decided to go east and J. P. Van Patten accompanied her to Canandaigua, New
York. They proceeded down the Mississippi by steamboat, thence up the Ohio and
by canal crossed the state of Ohio to Lake Erie, where they took boat to Buffalo
and thence continued on their way to Canandaigua by canal. These trips at that
time were full of interest and adventure to a young boy whose experiences in
life were thus far limited. He remained in the east for four years and during
three years of that time was a student in the Canandaigua Academy, after which
he engaged in clerking for a year in a book store. But the west was attractive
to him and he determined to return to Davenport, going by steamer form Buffalos
to Chicago, by canal to Peru and by steamer to Davenport. His brother-in-law,
C.C. Alvord, had a farm near Long Grove, Scott county, and Mr. Van Patten worked
on that farm until the 12th of August, 1848. He then put aside the labors of the
field and again came to the city, where for three years he engaged in
clerking for B. Sandford, a grocer and druggist on Front street. That his
services were satisfactory and that his reliability was a pronounced feature in
his service is indicated in the fact that in 1851 he was admitted to a
partnership. With a renewed purpose he bent his energies toward the expansion
and development of the business and his labors were a potent element in its
growth. In 1854 Mr. Sandford retired from the firm, selling his interest to C.
C. Alvord, and the firm style of Alvord & Van Patten was then assumed and
was so continued and Mr. Van Patten reorganized the business as a corporation
under the style of J. P. Van Patten & Sons, three of his sons, John N.,
Edward H. and Alfred Schuyler, becoming associated with him in the ownership and
conduct of the enterprise. This is today one of the leading houses of its
character in Davenport. Mr. Van Patten has come to be recognized as one of the
representative merchants here and a business man of pronounced ability, whose
activities are further evidenced in his service as vice president of the First
National Bank.
While his life has been a busy and useful one and from an early age he has been
dependent upon his own resources, so that unfaltering industry and ready
adaptability have constituted the foundation of his success, yet he has found
time and opportunity for cooperation in public affairs and has long been an
active and influential factor in politics. He is a loyal republican but not an
office seeker. He has been a delegate to county and state conventions on many
occasions and his counsel and advice have been many times sought and often
heeded. He has refused the nomination for mayor and other positions of high
preferment, but for many years has been treasurer of the republican county
central committee and in a private capacity has done everything possible to
promote the growth and insure the success of the party. Every movement for the
benefit of the city receives his endorsement and his cooperation is of a
practical character that has led to substantial results.
In 1859 Mr. Van Patten was married to Miss Dorothy Hartzell, a daughter of the
Rev. Johan Hartzell of Ohio. Their children are as follows: Mrs. Florence
Sweeney; Elizabeth, who died at the age of eighteen years; Mrs. Marion Harper,
also deceased; Alice, now the wife of Dr. W. L. Allen; John N.; Alfred; and
Philip.
The life and labors of J. P. Van Patten should be a source of inspiration to the
young. Through difficulties and disadvantages of which one who has not had
similar experiences can form little idea, he has steadily worked his way upward
until he stands today as one of Davenport's foremost citizens. He is a man of
resolute purpose and when one avenue of opportunity has seemed closed he has
sought out other paths to success and has eventually reached his objective
point. He is today one of the most honored as well as one of the most prosperous
merchants and business men of Davenport.
Transcribed by Elaine Rathmann
Palo Alto County, Iowa USGenWeb Project | Scott County, Iowa USGenWeb Project | Celtic Cousins | A Little Bit of Ireland | The Irish in Iowa | Joynt/Joint Family Chronicles | Other Family Ties |